There are so many misinformation and misunderstanding surrounding this issue of gums recessioOn this article I will try as much as possible to reveal about why your gums are receding and also the fastest remedy available. Am not here to waste so much of your time, but am here to give you the answers that you need. I will have to explain some few things first than we’ll dive into the heart of this matter.
Just as we all know, there are few things that shows whether your gums are healthy or not. A healthy gum is richly supplied with blood, it’s firmly attached to the Jaw bones, tightly covering each tooth to the neck. This pink dense tissue covers the roots of the teeth and protects them. Gum recession is a medical condition when the gum covering the root of the tooth is being pulled back, exposing more of the tooth or tooth roots. Gum recession leaves the delicate parts of the teeth exposed to disease-causing bacteria. Without proper treatments the tissues protecting the teeth are permanently damaged, resulting to tooth loss.
However, this health problem is so common, lots of people out there don’t know that they have it at the early stage. Early symptoms include – longer teeth which appears to be longer than normal and also teeth sensitivity. You can read about teeth sensitivity if you don’t know much about it. But trust me, receding gums is not what you should just ignore. If you notice that your gums are receding, you should take the first step by consulting your dentist. There are treatments available for receding gums but I have not gotten to that part just yet. For the purpose of educating all, I would like to show you some of the things that might be making your gums to receed.
Causes of Gums Recession
- Aggreesive Brushing : according to the Journal of Periodontology Online, you should brush your teeth not scrub. Brushing your teeth the wrong way or using toothbrush with hard bristles can wear down your enamel and even force your gums to receed. I have said something similar when I was talking about toothache. Brushing your teeth isn’t supposed to hurt, be gentle to your teeth to avoid causing more harm than good. Aggressive brushing cleans away more than dirt from your teeth, it wears down the teeth enamel leaving the teeth roots exposed.
- Gentics : some people are susceptible to gum recession, no matter how much they try to practice good oral hygiene. Remember, most of the variations in our body are determined by our genes. If one of your parents had gum recession, then there is a possibility that you may have it too.
- Teeth grinding ( Bruxism) : grinding or clenching your teeth results to lots of dental problems. Bruxism is never a good thing, maybe you don’t even know whether you grind. Sure! it’s possible, most people with sleep-related bruxism only grind in their sleep. If you are not too sure you can read here – all about teeth grinding, to learn more about bruxism. The point am trying to make here is that, teeth grinding puts too much force on your gums, it can make your gums to receed.
- Gum disease : this is a common cause of gum recession. Periodontal diseases destroy the gum tissues and also the supporting bones that hold your teeth in place. The connecting fibers and the supporting bones around the teeth are lost, creating space between the gums and the teeth.
- Poor oral hygiene : the two – poor oral hygiene and gum disease contributes greatly to gum recession. Without regular brushing of the teeth and antibacterial flossing, plaque can easily accumulate leading to certain dental problems. If your oral health is questionable then you should consider making the right change.
- Uneven dentition : abnormal positioning of the teeth can force your gums to receed. It exerts a kind of pressure on the gums and the bones supporting the gums, leading to gums recession.
- Trauma : physical injury either on our teeth, gums or jaw bone can lead to gums recession. Depending on how severe the trauma is, but it possible.
Ways To Reverse Receding Gums (1)
- Scaling and root planing : this is a dental procedure that is usually carried out by a dentist. This is a kind of deep gum cleaning, where the dentist cleans the affected area. The primary purpose of the cleaning is to remove the disease-causing bacteria present in the gums. The gums are also tightly secured to the teeth roots after, to prevent further recession.
- Composite restoration : this is also carried out by a dentist. The space created because of gums recession between the teeth and the gums are being filled up. (2) Tooth-colored composite resins are used here to cover up the exposed teeth roots, it fills the gaps between teeth and the gums.
- Gum veneers : this artificial piece is safe for covering the large exposed areas between the gums and teeth. The gum veneers is usually acrylic or silicone, it can also be removed or replaced anytime without much difficulty.
- Pink porcelain : this dental procedure is more like the composite restoration. The pink material used looks just like a natural gum, it’s used to fill the gap between the gums and the teeth.
- Gum graft : in the case of severe gum recession, a surgeon will be required to carry out gum grafting. There are different types of gums grafting, but your dentist can help determine the most suitable one for you. A surgeon cuts out some body tissue from a part of the mouth, this tissue is placed at the receding area. The tissue is stitched down to the receding area and it’s given some few days to heal.
6. Bone regeneration : if your gums are receding because the bones supporting it have been damaged, then bones regeneration will be the best option. A bone or tissue regeneration material is applied directly to the damaged bone. After some period of time, the bone regenerates back providing more support to the gums.
How To Prevent Gum Recession
Most of the common causes of gums recession are preventable. Practicing good oral hygiene at home is necessary to prevent building up of plaque and harmful bacteria. Too much accumulation of harmful bacteria in the mouth can easily lead to gum disease and tooth loss.
Daily brushing and flossing is very important, but remember to brush gently. Toothbrush with soft bristles are highly recommended, if you don’t know the right toothbrush, your dentist can help you choose. Also regular visits to your dentist is advisable, a dentist can help identify any dental problem. Early detection can be helpful for faster treatments when dealing with receding gums.
In addition, If you notice that you have any other dental problems like teeth grinding or improper dentition. Don’t hesitate to talk to your dentist about it, he can help correct the problem. If you have any questions or suggestions, you can comment using the comments box belI ow. Also share this post with your friends.