Dental crown is widely used in dentistry to restore the structure, strength, shape and size of a damaged or decayed tooth. It’s an artificial cap that is used to cover an entire existing tooth, in order to restore its normal appearance and functionality. Crowns can be placed anywhere in the mouth, both at the back teeth and front teeth. It’s specially constructed to be able to fit on any tooth no matter where it’s located in the mouth.
For the purpose of this article, we will look at certain things about crown placed on the front tooth. Most people use to to worry when one of their front teeth is damaged and the only way to save the situation is by installing a dental crown. Some of them will be like “how strong are crowns on front teeth? Are they really safe?” Before the end of this article you’ll get to know if they are really safe and strong.
Why you may need to crown a front tooth
There are certain dental problems that can be corrected through dental crowning. In most cases, any of your front teeth can be crowned for restoration purposes. Although, some people go through dental crowning not because that their teeth was damaged, but just for cosmetic reasons. Here are some of the reasons why your front tooth may be crowned:
1. Tooth decay: if any of your front teeth has decayed extensively, dental crowning can be a great way to restore the tooth’s normal color and size.
2. Broken tooth: due to trauma, your front tooth can crack or break, dental crowning can be of a great help when it comes to restoration.
3. Root canal: Your dentist can recommend dental crown if your front tooth was treated with root canal.
4. Cosmetic reasons: sometimes some of your front teeth can be excessively discolored. This can result to ugly smile, but you can use dental crowns to cover the affected teeth in order to restore their color back to normal. In some cases, dental crowns can also be used to restore the shape of misshaped tooth.
Dental crowns for front teeth
There are different types of dental crowns available, but for anesthetic and aesthetic reasons (beauty), not all of them are suitable for your front teeth. Dental crowns are usually differentiate based on the type of material they are made from. Crowns can be made with the use of different materials such as porcelain, ceramic, gold and metals.
Crowns made entirely of ceramic or porcelain are considered as the best crown for the front teeth. They provides a more natural tooth-colored appearance when compared with other available crowning materials. For aesthetic purposes, front tooth crown is specially designed to acquire a translucent appearance.
However, porcelain-fused to metal crown can be used on the front tooth, but the crown is not overly white. They are much more stronger than all-porcelain crowns. The only problem here is that the metal used in porcelain-fused in metal crown are usually visible having a dark color. These is a major draw back and a reason why most patients use only all-porcelain crowns with no metal attached, when it comes to crowning the front tooth.
So, the two most popular natural-colored crowns for front teeth are all-porcelain and ceramic crown.
How strong are crowns on front teeth?
Dental crowns are overly strong and can withstand pressure from chewing and biting food. When it comes to the front teeth, highly durable metallic crowns are not necessary since they are subjected to less pressure from chewing. (1) Strong although less durable natural tooth-colored crowning materials are much more popular for front teeth crowning, since it can affect your smile.
However, most patients prefer more stronger and durable crowning material such as gold not minding if it’s tooth-colored or not. Gold crowns shares similar characteristics with your natural tooth enamel. It’s very strong and can protect your teeth against pressure and grinding. It requires less installation procedure, but it’s most effective when applied on the back teeth.
Generally, dental crowns are strong and durable, guaranteed to last for at least five years, especially when you take proper care of them. Your dentist will help you to understand better, on how long each of the crowning materials will last.
Crowning materials used for front teeth whether ceramic, all-porcelain or resins are safe and strong. The only thing that is required of you is to take extra care not to damage the crown. Even the strongest tooth crowning material can be damaged within a short period of time, when you don’t take good care of it.
Caring for dental crowns on front teeth
You should keep in mind that dental crowns, especially the ones at the front teeth are not as good and strong as your natural teeth. It’s advisable that you should visit your dentist regularly for frequent check-ups, to ensure that your crown is in good condition. Here are some of the ways you can take care of a dental crown installed on your front tooth:
1. Avoid biting on hard foods or other substances such as pencil or pen. I use to see some people who use their teeth as a tool to open drink covers, please don’t ever try such.
2. Brush and floss regular: poor oral hygiene can damage your tooth crown overtime. You should try as much as possible to keep your teeth and mouth clean, by using suitable toothpastes and mouthwash. Remember to use suitable toothpastes, abrasive toothpaste and hard-bristled toothbrush can wear down your crown.
3. Avoid consuming much of sugary foods and drinks. Taking much of sugary things can result to the accumulation of lots of bacteria and buildups of erosive acids. These bacteria tend to accumulate more around the crown areas. They can wear away the materials that was used to hold your crown in place. This can lead to tooth decay and make your crown to fall off.
You don’t need to worry about having a dental crown on your front teeth. Dental crowns are very strong and can withstand pressure, where ever it’s placed in your mouth. Whether the crown is installed at the back or front teeth they still serve the same purpose. They enhance the strength of your tooth, while giving it the shape and look of a natural tooth.
However, natural-colored crowns that will closely match the color of your existing teeth are usually recommended as crowns on front teeth. All you need to do is to take proper care of your dental crown, it will always remain strong and functional for a long period of time.