Having a good night sleep is essential for everyone, especially after the long day work and stress. Sleep can help in proper functioning of the body and everybody require a certain amount of rest every day. However, night sleep can be interrupted because of one health problem or the other. Dry mouth can be so annoying, it happens frequently at night. If you have suffered from dry mouth while sleeping, you must have understood the feeling better.
Mouth dryness is so common that many people in the world experience dry mouth at some point. Anybody can have dry mouth at any time, if it occurs more frequently then you shouldn’t hesitate to talk to your doctor.
This oral problem when left untreated can lead to tooth decay and gum disease. Most people suffer from dry mouth occasionally due to stress or as a side effect effects of certain medications. Here are few medications that can cause dry mouth, you see the post later. So without wasting much time further, in this article. I will reveal to you effective ways to prevent dry mouth while sleeping at night.
How to prevent dry mouth at night (1)
- Use humidifier : breathing in dry air while sleeping can cause dry mouth. Instead, use a humidifier to moisturize the air in your room.
- Chew sugar-free gum : you can try chewing or sucking sugarless gum, candy or mints daily. They can help increase salivary flow, by stimulating the salivary glands to produce more saliva.
- Drink more water : this will help to keep you hydrated throughout the day. Staying hydrated will reduce the chance of bacteria growth, cavities, teeth sensitivity and gum disease.
- Breath through your nose : breathing through your mouth is not safe it you want to maintain a healthy mouth. If possible, try to consciously breathe through your nose.
- Avoid alcohol mouthwashes : Don’t use mouthwashes that contain alcohol, they can increase the risk of developing dry mouth.
- Stop tobacco use : it’s advisable that you give up on using tobacco, smoking and drinking excessive alcohol. If it’s too hard for you to do, why don’t you talk to your doctor about it? Also it’s very important that you limit your caffeine intake, all this can make your mouth dry.
- Use the right mouthwash : there are special types of mouthwash for preventing or managing dry mouth. Just like I said earlier, you should avoid mouthwash that contains alcohol. With the help of your dentist, you can make the right pick when choosing your mouthwash. Brushing with fluoride toothpaste is also very effective in preventing dry mouth and other dental problems.
- Review your medications : there are many medications that gives off the symptoms of dry mouth as side effects. You should run a review on your medications with the help of your doctor. Medications such as antihistamines or decongestants can dry out your mouth.
Dry mouth occurs as a result of the salivary glands not being able to produce enough saliva to keep the mouth wet. This condition can bring many discomforts, when it comes to eating, swallowing or even speaking. However, if you usually have dry mouth frequently, taking these steps I listed above can help in this condition.
Keeping your saliva flow normal is an effective way to prevent dry mouth while sleeping. If natural remedies for dry mouth , doesn’t seem to work for you. Your dentist can recommend medications that can help your body to produce enough saliva.